WORLD
2 min read
'Reckless, unacceptable': KRG PM condemns drone attack targeting his office in northern Iraq
The KRG security agency said the drones were launched from Iran as no group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack.
'Reckless, unacceptable': KRG PM condemns drone attack targeting his office in northern Iraq
"I condemn these reckless and unacceptable attacks in the strongest terms," Prime Minister Masrour Barzani said. / AP

Two drones targeted the office of the KRG's prime minister in northern Iraq on Monday, but there were no reports of any casualties, the KRG security agency said.

The attack was launched from Iranian territory, it said in a statement, without clarifying whether the drones had hit their target. There was no immediate claim of responsibility from any group for the attack.

"I condemn these reckless and unacceptable attacks in the strongest terms," Prime Minister Masrour Barzani said on X, describing them as a dangerous escalation and a direct threat to the region's security and stability.

Barzani said his personal office and the home of the head of the region's Security and Intelligence Agency had been targeted, citing an investigation by the counter terrorism unit.

Kurdish region of northern Iraq has been repeatedly targeted by drones and rockets. A four-day wave of drone attacks on its oilfields in July 2025 halted nearly half of the region's crude production, with security officials pointing to Iran-backed militias as the likely perpetrators.

In April 2024, a drone attack on the Khor Mor gas field, one of the largest in the northern region, killed four Yemeni workers, injured two others and forced the suspension of gas supplies to regional power plants.

RelatedTRT World - Iran reopens border crossings with Iraqi Kurdish region
SOURCE:Reuters