A 35-year-old Israeli national is due to appear before an investigating magistrate in Rethymno on Monday, after Greek authorities arrested him over a wildfire that tore through the Greek village of Sellia on the island of Crete.
According to Greek local media outlet Creta24, investigators from the Rethymno Arson Investigation Unit determined that the blaze started from a barbecue at a tourist rental property. The man now faces a charge of arson caused by negligence.
The fire broke out on Friday at 7:11 pm local time in the Sellia area, as strong winds swept the region. Firefighting crews mobilised quickly as the flames spread rapidly, alarming residents and forcing some to briefly leave their homes.
The blaze damaged olive groves and threatened properties across the village before it was brought under control, prompting a large-scale response from Greek fire services.
Following its investigation, the Arson Investigation Unit concluded that the use of a barbecue at the villa was behind the outbreak, according to Creta24. The suspect is expected to give his account of events to the investigating magistrate on Monday.
Olive groves, property damaged
Separately, the owner of the tourist villa where the fire started issued a public apology to residents of Sellia. He said he was deeply shaken by the damage to olive groves and property, and by the fear residents felt as their homes came under threat.
The owner said guests staying at the property had been warned, both verbally on arrival and in writing, not to use the barbecue during windy conditions. Despite this, he said, the fire still broke out, with serious consequences for the village.
He stressed that he did not wish to pre-empt the findings of the authorities or assign blame, noting that it was for the relevant services to establish the exact circumstances of the fire.
Residents forced to evacuate
The owner apologised to anyone who feared for their life, home, or property during the blaze, and expressed sorrow over every olive tree lost and every property damaged. He also acknowledged residents who were forced to temporarily evacuate their homes over fears for their safety and belongings.
He thanked the fire service, local authorities, volunteers, and residents who fought the flames, and pledged to stand by those affected as they seek to repair the damage and pursue compensation.
Wildfires are a recurring hazard across Greece during the summer months, often fuelled by strong winds, dry vegetation, and high temperatures. Authorities regularly issue warnings against open flames, including barbecues, during periods of elevated fire risk.
The case in Sellia is now before Rethymno's judicial authorities, with the suspect's formal testimony expected to shape the next steps in the investigation.
Wildfires have ravaged Greece this summer, killing at least eight people, scorching more than 300 square kilometres and forcing hundreds to flee their homes and resorts.
















