WAR ON GAZA
2 min read
Trump envoy Kushner urges Netanyahu not to derail Gaza plan: report
Kushner told Netanyahu not to hinder the Gaza peace plan during their meeting in Cairo, according to US media. But their four-hour meeting ended without agreement on key issues.
Trump envoy Kushner urges Netanyahu not to derail Gaza plan: report
US businessman Jared Kushner attends a press conference in Paris, France, on January 6, 2026. / AP

US President Donald Trump’s envoy Jared Kushner has urged Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to avoid hindering the Trump administration’s peace plan for Gaza, according to US media reports.

Kushner pressed Netanyahu to move forward with the plan, CNN reported on Monday, citing an Israeli source.

He specifically told Netanyahu to “not create obstacles” in the implementation of the plan, according to the news outlet.

The meeting followed Kushner’s direct engagement with senior Hamas officials in Egypt.

RelatedTRT World - Netanyahu, Kushner disagree over continued slaughter in Gaza — report

Despite a nearly four-hour session, Israeli media indicated that the leaders failed to reach an agreement on several critical issues. Netanyahu reportedly remains unpersuaded and continues to insist on maintaining attacks in Gaza as national elections approach.

The Israeli leader previously rejected the second-phase roadmap proposed by the US-backed Board of Peace.

In earlier remarks to Fox News, Kushner characterised the discussions as “very, very good”, claiming they addressed several misunderstandings.

RelatedTRT World - Israel orders troops not to expand Gaza's 'Yellow Line' after Kushner talks

While Kushner noted that Hamas representatives “said all the right things” during the meeting in Cairo, he acknowledged the difficulty of trusting the group. He said the US would evaluate Hamas based on its “actions and steps” towards implementing the peace framework.

In October 2023, the Israeli army began a deadly offensive in Gaza that has killed more than 73,000 Palestinians and injured over 174,000.

Despite a ceasefire that has remained in place since October 2025 as part of the first phase of Trump’s Gaza peace plan, Israel has continued to attack the Palestinian enclave, killing at least 1,260 victims and injuring more than 4,100, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry.

The second phase of Trump’s plan envisages the transfer of governance in Gaza to a Palestinian technocratic committee, the deployment of an international stabilisation force and the placement of weapons under international supervision.

Israel is expected to carry out a phased withdrawal from Gaza to allow reconstruction efforts to begin.

SOURCE:َAA